海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: So I wanted to be an Investment Banker...(from Stern Business Sch, NYU) (ZT)
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 So I wanted to be an Investment Banker...(from Stern Business Sch, NYU) (ZT)   
JAAK
[博客]
[个人文集]

游客

文章标题: So I wanted to be an Investment Banker...(from Stern Business Sch, NYU) (ZT) (1648 reads)      时间: 2005-5-15 周日, 05:42      

作者:游客海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

So I wanted to be an Investment Banker...
by Francisco Rodriguez, fjr212
2nd Year FT Program, Block 3

Let me tell you a short story about one of my best friends, Juan Seade.

He was one of my mentors, the person who convinced me of the advantages of pursuing an MBA. He was the one who helped me the most in getting here by giving me advice for the applications, helping me study for the GMAT and even writing a letter of recommendation on my behalf.

But let’s move a little bit to the past. You are probably wondering why you are reading this article, right?

Well, Juan had a dream. He wanted to become an investment banker.

I met Juan when I started working at the Central Bank of Mexico in 1999. He was one of the funniest guys I have ever met, full of energy and stamina and always participating in every crazy activity imaginable. He was the sporty type who loved to play Gotcha and soccer, and he never said no to a nice run.

As a coworker, he was just awesome. Juan would always help you with whatever you needed, and would take the time to explain every step of the process. He was a natural born teacher, and always in the process of doing something for someone else that was well beyond the call of duty. Applying this principle, he sacrificed some of his free time to create, along with other colleagues, a major database of Central Bank information and graphics. The database helped everyone in our organization improve their efficiency by 30 to 40%. It was something tangible that is still used at the bank. You can actually see some of his work in the official webpage of the Central Bank (https://www.banxico.org.mx/)

After I had been working with him for almost a year, Juan started to pursue the first step of his dream: An MBA. He did the same thing as everybody else, killing himself to get into the best university in the United States, and his efforts paid off: Stanford accepted him with a full scholarship. The day of his acceptance was, in his own words, one of the happiest days of his life, and a day that would only be comparable to the day when he might receive an investment banking job offer.

For Juan, the MBA experience was fantastic. Every time we talked, he would speak in amazement about his experiences. He learned to play golf, to make small talk in corporate presentations and to do informational and real interviews. He even made the trip to London to secure his dream job. In the process, he kept in touch, so he was able to tutor me, to help me to make my own dream become a reality.

He obtained the beloved IB job for the summer, and a few months into the third semester he received the precious full time offer. His dream was now a palpable reality. Finally, the dream was there, in his hands.

He started his dream job in the summer, a brand new Investment Banker who started to work his 100 plus hours per week as soon as he put a foot inside the bank. Soon after, for the first time in his life, he lost almost all contact with friends and family. The pressure was building, banking firings were the every day talk, and his dream job was probably giving him more than a few headaches.

I knew Juan, and I can tell you “that was not his dream.” He was a people person. He loved his social life and he loved to spend time with his sister. The last time that I talked to him, he told me that he would stay in banking for a few years. His idea now was to work as a banker for a while and then establish his own business with the tons of money that he was going to earn. What happened to his dream? Nobody really knows. He was barely speaking with his friends or even with his beloved sister, who he used to call every 2 or 3 days.

Juan died three days ago from a massive heart attack while he was in the Gym of his office, an office that he rarely left for the last 5 months.

Only 5 months after his dream job came true, the dream has ended. Obviously, I cannot be certain that his job killed him. That can easily be established as an overstatement. Maybe he had a previous illness, or maybe it was just an odd event not related to his job. But I feel a moral obligation, my duty to Juan’s memory, to try to find a message in his tragic ending.

Please follow your dream, because this is why you are here. Pursue your goals, because it is better dying doing what you love than living a fake life thinking about everything you could have done but did not. But please understand your limits, respect them and get your priorities in life in order. Do not pursue a dream that kills your real dreams. If your real dream is becoming an entrepreneur, pursue it from the beginning. If your first priority is quality of life or helping others, pursue it from the start.

Do not take detours just for the money. Do what you want to do within the limits that you can handle. Enjoy your life now, because maybe there is no tomorrow. But first of all, whatever you do, take time to relax. The pressure is mostly in your mind and you can control it. You do not need to know every freaking formula in the finance book; you don’t need to do an informational with every single associate in the bank; you don’t need to send one thousand applications in your job search process.

You owe it to yourself to do your best, but you also owe it to yourself to set your limits and respect them. Pursue your dreams to the fullest, but do not let them take over your life, particularly if you really consider your life more important than what you think it is. If you are interested, my priorities are first my family, then my friends and lastly my work, while always trying to have “real” fun in the three of them.

作者:游客海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
最近看了几篇好贴,为了回馈本坛,也贴一片高质量的。名为:Why I'm N... 海归论坛 2004-7-15 周四, 00:47
安校,你是INVESTMENT BANKER?问个问题,十么背景的人才能干... 海归茶馆 2004-6-09 周三, 11:40
[分享]Investment Consultant wanted 海归招聘 2011-7-22 周五, 11:43
online travel project: investment wanted 创业论坛 2006-10-23 周一, 13:56
Sr. BA is Wanted Now. Location : Beij... 海归招聘 2012-11-29 周四, 11:24
Freelance academic essay writer wanted 金融财务 2012-10-29 周一, 10:52
Freelance academic essay writer wanted 金融财务 2012-10-23 周二, 11:24
中欧商会活动:China’s Investment in Europe: ... 海归商务 2012-6-19 周二, 23:33

返回顶端
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.